Thursday, June 2, 2011

So it begins

Hi all,

Would you believe it? I just had a few of my brothers friends tell me I needed to start a page about my book Home. And what do you know? Here it is.

This is the best I can do. Thank you Blogger. :)

A little about my book/me:

Home is the book I've been writing since I was in seventh grade, so as you can imagine it's OLD. That doesn't seem to have put a damper or my readers spirits though. I tend to disagree with them, but they all seem to be in agreement; it's amazing. This makes me very happy even though I feel such praise is undeserved. The book is flawed in oh so many ways, but I look forward to fixing that in the future. Such excitement and encouragement from people who have read it has encouraged me to continue working on the sequel to Home, New Beginnings. :/ It's a working title okay. I'm still fiddling with it. Suggestions for a title and a cover design will be more than welcome!

This blog is for my readers and anyone interested. I hope you find this a useful place to share your thoughts about the book, and leave me flattering remarks to boost my already inflated ego. Because it makes me happy and keeps me writing. So do bribes and cookies.

For those who haven't read Home and would like to know what it's about here's a very bad plot synopsis:


Aroya is fifteen years old and struggling to find her place in life. After a near suicide she's adopted by three people who are more than they appear. Through them Aroya discovers that she herself has more to give than she once thought and is more than she thought she could ever be. Afterall, isn't it every teenagers dream to save the world?

Excerpt from the book: "The blood from Aroya's wrist was seeping into her shirt, leaving a black stain on the front. She could feel the warmth of the blood falling down the front of her jeans and soaking through the waistband. She felt her head begin to droop and the blackness of unconsciousness rushed over her eyes. The arm that was holding the dagger followed. With an effort Aroya jerked her head back up and forced back the darkness with a grimace, only to have it crawl back over her eyes like a dark blanket. She cursed herself for not accepting help earlier, but her pride wouldn't let her. Aroya lost her grip and both daggers fell to the ground as her buckling knees gave way beneath her and the darkness overcame her. She passed out in the stranger's arms."

My plot synopsizes (is that a word?) are never the same. Ever. Because I feel none of them ever do the plot any justice. I don't want to give anything away, but at the same time it's all rather obvious isn't it? Aroya's special. We all know that or the book never would have been written. So where does that leave me was a summary? Nowhere. -is whining-

To anyone who's read the book, what did you think of the summary on the back? Did it catch your attention? Was it too vague? Did it make you curious? Could you write a better one?

Also, has anyone looked into the books that were recommended at the beginning? They're all books that greatly inspired me in my writing and that I extremely enjoyed. If you haven't checked them out, please do. There are books for boys and girls of all ages. 8D Yay for blood, sex, and violence eh? Now are you interested?

Oh look, Easter Egg. Here's a taste of what will be happening in New Beginnings:

"     "Where are we going?" Aroya asked.
     "To the Council." Tas descended the stairs, a traveling cloak over his arm and a pair of saddle bags over his shoulder.
     "Horses?" Aroya made a pouting wince of displeasure. Tas nodded, dropping the items over the chairs.
     "We shouldn't need much; the Council will be able to provide us with whatever else we'll need." 
     Alexander nodded. "Hear that kids? Pack light."
     Aroya sighed. "I guess that means I should go pack huh?"
     "Yup." Tas thwacked her in the chest with a pair of saddle bags. "Saddle up cowgirl!" "

I really don't know what to tell you all about New Beginnings because I don't want to ruin anything, but you can look forward to random snippets from the MS soon. I like to share parts of snippy conversation and things that make me laugh or tug on my heart strings. I hope you do too.

Now, because I know you're all wondering. What does my blog title mean? ... I have no idea. I made it up. Reminds me a little of the cat in the hat. Sounds like something he would say hmm? I may change it. I dunno. I has no real bearing on what this blog is about. It's nonsense.

More questions! What are you reading right now? Because I know how much you love to read. I'm planning on reading every unread book on my bookshelf this year because I can, but so far I've been distracted...I need to finish the Pendragon series, which I'm almost done with by the way, I'd like to start the Artemis Fowl books as well, but for now, I'm all tangled up in murder. I've started The Complete Sherlock Holmes and let me tell you, it is amazing. A lot little over my head, yes, but I'm still enjoying it. So, how about you? What plans do you have for reading in the future? What's captured your attention? And most importantly, why?

2 comments:

  1. *too lazy to sign in; stalks*

    I want to read your book, because it sounds amazing!And since you're pretty dang amazing yourself.... :3 Was this the one you completed for NaNoWriMo?

    Right now I'm reading Angel by James Patterson. It'll probably take me another day or so, since I'm reading in chunks. After this I've got a couple books about arranged marriage and set futures and kids that rebel and the sequel to the book "If I Stay". I'm super excited!

    Reading for the future... More sci-fi, fantasy. More Erin Hunter and the Warriors series. Paolini's new book. Reading manga. Other books that I find interesting. And rereading The Stand. It's a summer ritual.

    And a lot of writing, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @the-night-thief

    -laughs- Well thanks for stalking. :)

    Thank you! I hope when you can read it you enjoy it. :) No actually, but I'm hoping to keep polishing that too and maybe get it published at some point. I'm really proud of it. 8D

    Sounds like fun! Oh, I've heard about that, but I've never read it. It must be good.

    Yes! Sci-fi, fantasy for the win! He has a new book out? Huh, I didn't know that. Oh yes. I need to finish re-reading Hana Kimi. :3 and Wallflower. So...cute. >.< Really? How long has this ritual been going on?

    ReplyDelete