Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Mind of It's Own

I hate it when my plot re-writes itself, but I know it's only becoming stronger. Still, it's frustrating. It makes me wonder if Home will ever really be ready to be queried, of if I should just trunk it and start working on something else. At this point I'm not sure anymore. How do you know when it's time to trunk an MS? Most seem to get pushed aside after the query process, but what about before? How do you know when it's just not working out and it's time to start a new project?

Maybe I just need to give Home a real chance instead of constantly second guessing myself, but that's difficult for me to do. What do you think?

Edit: On this same topic, I'm thinking about cutting 19ish pages out of the manuscript and writing something else. The maturity level of Home has just grown beyond this part and I don't know what to do with it, but if I cut it I'm afraid it's going to have a detrimental effect on my word count. (Which is a silly reason to keep it in.) -bangs head into desk repeatedly-

2 comments:

  1. As far as word count goes, just try to think of all the books you like that are short. HP1 is barely over 200 pages, and it manages to do a hell of a lot of set up for the following six books.

    As far as ADV goes, you seem really frustrated and upset. I think that if it's causing you this much grief, then it might be time to put it away. I think it's a matter of asking yourself what you want to be known for. You have a lot of plans for the characters in ADV so you want to stick with it, but if you think Enemies is stronger, I would work on that for a while. You can always return to ADV at a later date, and maybe after some distance you'll be able to look at it more objectively. If you're motivated then, you could change it into the book you want it to be. You can also always take elements or plot lines that you planned for the adv series and use them in other books, if you're more attached to the ideas than the series itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. I wanted to find something or other that has all the books I like and what their word counts are , but I don't know of anything like that. :/ I've thought about making one, but I'd have to count all the words myself and that just doesn't sound like fun to me.

    That is also true.

    ReplyDelete