Friday, July 29, 2011

When He Talks He Won't Shut Up

And I mean that in a good way.

Nothing really all that special today, but a few nights ago I was up until 5am re-working Tas' (a character in Home) room. If you aren't aware yet, I'm tying the entire manuscript for Home into a new document so it won't have those horrid lines through it and in doing so I made a discovering. Tas never told me what his room really looked like. This was a horrifying thought and instantly shut down my progress. I couldn't write if I didn't know what his room looked like. So I broke out my notebook, my four inch thick art book (thank you Dr. Knappe), put on a TV series and got to work. Three hours later, Tas' room has emerged and it's beautiful.

So I wanted to share with you some of my thoughts on the room and what's inside it. First of all, we have this lovely piece: 

I saw this and fell in love with it. It's an old sleigh bed from the 17th century. I imagine the design is just a little more simple than this, but essentially this is what I see Tas' bed looking like.

This bedding is effeminate, I know, but I liked the colors and the feel I got from it so I image Tas's bedding is something similar to this. It's in a Tuscan style and is also antique. ( I feel a theme coming on.)

I think this table is too high, to be accurate for what I want, but I like it anyway, so just...imagine it being shorter as his room has no chairs. Antique.

You may or may not remember, I mentioned an antique grandfather clock that sat in the back corner of Tas's room. Well, this is what it looks like, but I believe the finish is darker, more like the finish on the table. (Yes, everything in the room is an antique. It's like walking into a museum so I'm just going to stop saying it.)



This is a handwoven carpet that sits in the center of the room, filling the space between the windows and the table. I personally think it's quite lovely.



 The pillows that sit around Tas' table in place of chairs. I imagine them being from India or something, but I had a serious problem finding antique floor cushions, so...yeah.



Tas' beautiful curtains. Raw silk, black out lined to keep out the sun and just all around pretty.

And now for some of the more random pieces in his room:


This is a large handmade French copper cauldron from the 1840's. I believe Tas keeps scraps of parchment and paper in this for some odd reason. It sits by this trunk:



Which holds the cape he gives to Aroya and an assortment of other things, among which I believe to be his uniform from the Council which he hates to wear. (All Protectors are issued uniforms which consist of trousers, a woolen shirt in light blue, almost grey and are required to wear (a) shoulder armor (spaulder) and carry a weapon at all times.) I imagine that's all stuffed in here.

These are ginger jars from China, but he has an odd collection and assortment of jars and vases all over his room.

The Waltz, a miniature of it at least in bronze that he keeps on the bed length shelf built out of the wall next to his bed.


Lament For Icarus which hangs on his wall next to his fireplace.


Now, this is the full sculpture of Cupid and Psyche, but Tas has a miniature of it on his table. (Because it's pretty and I like it.)

Globe. Did you know that Tas collects maps? He does. He loves them for some reason. (Boy's stuck in the past, I'm tellin' ya.)

Italian enameled terracotta olive oil jar.

He also has an assortment of scrolls and old books all over the place. Many of which are in Latin and about the Ancients, but he also collects books on math and science, art, history, and literature.

Now for some fun information. Tas was born in 1802, he traveled the world for almost a hundred years and then spent nearly as much time training at the Council. During his travels he collected the above articles himself. 

The interior of his room is based on Romanesque architecture and he has a vaulted ceiling.

He also plays the violin. 8D Hopefully this tasty little tidbit will appear in the third MS for Home. (Alexander plays the piano.) 


And this entry took far too long to write. >.<

3 comments:

  1. I just remembered something I've been meaning to ask you about! When I was reading home I assumed that Tas and the others were around Aroya's age, physically, but then I read somewhere that they looked to be more around thirty? So then I was confused, because there were some parts where they seemed to be much older than her, like when Rei calls her sweetie. But then in some parts they seem to be much closer to her age. So, how old are they supposed to be, actions wise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe *behavior wise* makes more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is actually a really good question. They all typically behave like teenagers simply because they can. Tas had a tendency to be very childish because if he doesn't he gets really withdrawn and emo. He has an angst filled history and he tries not to think about it. Rei is very similar. If she and Tas act about sixteen Alexander typically acts like he's twenty. He's more mature in many ways simply because he had a happier childhood. He doesn't have the same issues as the other two. He's well adjusted and content with his life. The other two aren't. He's what balances them out when they need it.

    Alexander and Tas are both a little over or around 200 years old. Tas is (I think) forty years older. I'd have to get all my notes out to find out. Rei is...52? I think. She's MUCH younger. Yeah, she's 52.

    I don't think that's addressed at all in your hard copy, but I "believe" it is in the new format, but I'm not sure though. If it's something I need to address more thoroughly I can. It comes up...when Rei and Aroya are at her house getting her things, when Rei and Aroya are in the kitchen I think when she's first there (but maybe I'm wrong) and I know for certain it's addressed during the part where Tas gives her the cape. (That section got a MAJOR face lift.)

    But yes, they all act like teenagers.

    ReplyDelete